Participating in CAYAC will give you the chance to:
The meetings are a great way to meet and interact with new people. I also learn new things each time we meet.
Who can join?
CAYAC is open to any youth ages 12-18 across Southern Alberta. No special skills are required, but every effort is made to form a diverse group by considering age, gender, geographic location, background, and child health and life experiences.
Each year we have a limited number of vacancies. We set a recruitment criteria for potential members in order to fill gaps that have been identified in the diversity of our group.
What is the application process?
Applications for the next CAYAC year are accepted from June to August each year.
Applicants who meet our recruitment criteria will be invited to the first CAYAC meeting in September, to see if it's what you expected and if you're still interested. To help with the selection process, all interested members will be interviewed and their references will be checked.
Once selected, all CAYAC members are registered as Volunteers with Volunteer Resources at the Alberta Children's Hospital. A Volunteer Resources Orientation will be conducted at a CAYAC meeting and members need to complete the following forms:
- Signed Position Description
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Education and Promotion Consent
- Parent Consent Form
- Police Information Check (completed at a police station)
What's expected of me?
- Be an active member for at least one year
- Attend the 6 Saturday meetings between September and June
- Participate to the best of your ability, listening to others, and encouraging others to share their ideas and viewpoints
- Find ways to bring ideas and suggestions from other children and youth in your local area
- Take part in at least one additional project within CAYAC (e.g. small group consult)
- Assist the Council in finding new members
- Help to decide how the Council works, what projects it takes on, and how it's run
- Maintain regular communication with the CAYAC coordinators through email, phone calls, etc
For more information see the Terms of Reference.
When do we meet?
We meet 6 times a year on Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Alberta Children's Hospital. Lunch is provided and for those traveling from out of town transportation is reimbursed.
There could be optional volunteer time commitments as CAYAC also has opportunities to do small group consultations and to provide a youth voice at committee meetings or events such as conferences.
CAYAC Recruitment Criteria 2018-19
CAYAC has limited space for new members in the 2018-19 year. As a result, we are only recruiting new members that fit specific criteria to ensure that our membership reflects a broad representation of youth from Southern Alberta. Please consider applying for CAYAC if you are between the ages of 12 and 16, have an interest in improving the health care system and health care experiences for other youth, and you fit at least one of the following criteria:
- Live in a Southern Alberta community outside of Calgary (from Red Deer south)
- Have significant experience as a patient* of Alberta Children's Hospital, the Child and Adolescent Addiction and Mental Health Program, or other health care facilities
- Are a sibling or family member of a child or youth who has had significant experience as patient* of Alberta Children's Hospital, the Child and Adolescent Addiction and Mental Health Program, or other health care facilities
- Live with a disability or chronic health condition
- Are a youth from a diverse background
- Have experienced adversity in your life which has had an impact on your overall health, mental health or well-being
* patient experience refers to inpatient, day patient or outpatient experience
Applications will be accepted from June 1st, 2018 to September 1st, 2018. Applicants who meet the recruitment criteria above will be invited to come to our September meeting, to experience a meeting and learn about CAYAC. Applicant interviews and reference checks will take place following this meeting.
If you are interested in becoming a CAYAC member and fit the recruitment criteria, please complete and submit an online application form
Listening to the Voices of Children and Youth