Depression is more than just feeling blue, down, or having a bad day. It is a form of mental illness that affects the entire person - it changes the way one feels, thinks and behaves. Symptoms include: persistent sadness and/or irritability; change in appetite; disrupted sleep patterns; change in activity level; impaired attention and concentration; and markedly decreased feelings of self-worth. It is not a personal weakness or a character flaw and a person will not just snap out of it. Below is a list of resources that can be helpful in understanding those experiences as well as how to support those around you. 

Community Partners

You can contact the partners below to get more information and assistance.

  • ACCESS Mental Health

    Clinicians work over the telephone to help people navigate the addiction and mental health system. They are familiar with both Alberta Health Services and community based programs and will explore options and direct/refer clients to the most appropriate resource to meet their needs. Access Mental Health is a non-urgent service.
    Phone: 403-943-1500 (extension 1 for child and adolescent services)

Web Content





Book List

These resources are available to borrow at the Family & Community Resource Centre. You can also check with your local library or with The Alberta Library for the availability of these resources.

You can download, print, and share this list.

Depression Collection


Thank you to our friends from Calgary Public Library, Mood, Anxiety, and Psychosis Services and Healthy Minds/Healthy Children - Outreach and Continuing Education for their contributions.

Current as of: April 15, 2021


This material is designed for information purposes only. It should not be used in place of medical advice, instruction and/or treatment. If you have specific questions, please contact your doctor or appropriate health care professional.
No copyright infringement is intended.

For more information contact the Family Librarian at 403-955-7745 or