Share Your Medical Transition Story
When youth turn 18, they will move from pediatric care into the adult healthcare system. This transition can be a difficult process. Reach out and share your medical transition story to help other patients and their families with this change!
Who can create a medical transition story?
This opportunity is open to:
- Patients who are about to transfer to adult care
- Patients who have transferred to adult care in the last few years
- Parents/caregivers of young adults who are in the process of transitioning to adult care
- Parents/caregivers of young adults who have recently transferred
How can I share my medical transition story?
You can use whatever format best suits your creative abilities, such as:
- Video recording
- Audio recording
- Written story
- Slide show presentation
How will my transition story reach other patients, families and/or healthcare providers?
Your story may be shared by:
- Posting it on our website
- Displaying it on a bulletin board at the Alberta Children's Hospital
- Presenting it at an adolescent transition event
What should I include in my story?
- Consider who you want to tell your story to, the audience you want to reach and what you want them to hear
- Focus on the part of your transition experience that impacted you the most – Remember short and to the point often has a greater impact!
- Remember story plots include an introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and a final outcome
- Be respectful of those involved in your story so no one feels attacked or targeted
- To protect the privacy of others do not use specific names, dates, times or places
- For some examples, check out these digital stories
Contact Us if you want to share your story or would like more information.