Your First Appointment
With the Family Doctor
In adult care, your family doctor will see you for general health concerns like annual check-ups, sore throats, and minor injuries. You can arrange the first visit to your family doctor on your own.
With the Specialist
Some of you may also need to see one or more specialists (doctors who treat specific health conditions). Talk to your healthcare team at the Alberta Children's Hospital about who arranges the first visit to your specialist. It is also important to know what to do if you get sick before your first appointment with the specialist.
What to Bring
Whether you are visiting the family doctor or the specialist for the first time, remember to bring:
- Your Alberta Healthcare card
- Health insurance information
- A copy of clinic referrals, transfer summaries and/or your health record
- A list of your current health concerns and medications
- A list of questions you may want to ask the doctor
- A paper and pen to write down important health information
- Your MyHealth Passport
Make Sure You Know
Before leaving the doctor's office, make sure you know:
- When you need to come back for your next visit
- If any new referrals are being made to specialists
- Whether you need to have any tests or bloodwork done
- If you have any new prescriptions or need refills for the medications you are taking
You may find it helpful to bring a friend/family member with you to your clinic visits for support.