Making Your Own Decisions

When you turn 18, you're considered an adult and will be responsible for making your own healthcare, personal, and financial decisions. Some of you may feel quite comfortable making these decisions on your own. Others may want or need some support. The Adult Guardianship & Trusteeship Act (AGTA) can give you the support you need.

  • Supported Decision Making - Fill out this form if you are able to make your own decisions but would like to have the help of someone you trust.
  • Co-Decision Making - Apply for this if you are not able to make decisions on your own, but could if you had the help and guidance of another person.
  • Guardianship - Apply to the court for a legal guardian if you are not able to make your own decisions and need someone to make decisions for you.
  • Trusteeship - Apply to the court for a trustee if you have personal property, money, or investment income, and need help managing your finances.

Volunteers can help you with the application process. If you need help, make sure you ask!

For more information call 1-877-427-4525.

You should start applying for a guardian and/or trustee about 6-12 months before you turn 18.