Moving to Adult Care
Lots of questions may be going through your mind about adult care-what it's like, where you'll go, and who your doctor will be. Knowing what's different about adult care will help make the transition easier.
Here's what to expect:
- You will see a family doctor for your general health concerns like annual check-ups, sore throats, injuries, etc.
- You may not be able to see all of your healthcare team at the same time or even at the same place.
- You will be in charge of booking your own clinic visits. Sometimes the first clinic visit is arranged for you. Ask your healthcare team about this.
- People of all ages go to adult clinics; you may find you're the youngest one there.
- You will need a referral letter from your family doctor to see any new specialists (doctors who treat specific health conditions).
- You will be responsible for keeping track of important health information.
- You will be able to make decisions about your healthcare.
- The doctors will ask you about current and past health concerns.
The biggest difference is that you will be more responsible for managing your healthcare.