Applying for Funding & Supports

Once you turn 18 you are considered an adult and won’t be able to receive children's services and funding. Alberta has 4 programs that offer support for adults. To apply for these, you will need a social insurance number, bank account and government photo identification. Each one offers different kinds of support and has different eligibility criteria. It is important to review what funding and supports you receive now to determine what you will need and can apply for as an adult.

If you want information about programs that cover expenses like prescription drugs, eye glasses, dental care, medical supplies or ambulance trips, go to our Health Insurance webpage.

Here are some important things to know about the following adult programs:

Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)

AISH provides money for living and health related expenses to adults with a disability or ongoing health condition. To be eligible, your condition must be permanent and limit your ability to earn a living.

  • Apply for AISH 6 months before you turn 18
  • A medical form from your family doctor or pediatrician must accompany your AISH application – Your doctor may charge a fee to fill out this form
  • Open a bank account in your own name – Money cannot be deposited into your parent's account, but a joint account with a parent is okay

For more information, go to the AISH website or call Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992.

Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD)

PDD funds services that allow adults with developmental disabilities to live, work and access services or programs in the community. They also offer funds for respite.

To qualify you will need a psycho-educational assessment documenting that you have an IQ of 70 or less. Psycho-educational assessments are done by registered psychologists. Sometimes these assessments can be done through your school or your specialty pediatric clinic. If this is not possible, you will need to pay for a private assessment, which can be expensive.

  • Although funding doesn't start until you turn 18, you can apply for PDD when you turn 16
  • PDD services are provided in 2 ways:

For more information go to the PDD website or call Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992.

Home Care

Alberta Health Services (AHS) offers Home Care to help people with disabilities or health conditions safely remain in their homes. Based on assessed unmet need, as determined by a Home Care Case Manager, services may include professional supports, personal care (e.g. bathing, toileting, dressing and oral care), medication management, home support or respite.

You can self-refer to Home Care; you do not need a referral from a healthcare provider. However if you are on Home Care before you turn 18 and it is determined you will continue to need Home Care services as an adult, your Home Care Case Manager will support and coordinate a transfer to the appropriate Adult Home Care team.

To determine your eligibility to receive Home Care services, AHS staff will come to your home to do an assessment. Contact them at least 6 months before you turn 18.

Like PDD, Home Care services can be provided in 2 ways:

  • By a home care provider paid for by AHS
  • Through a Self-Managed Care (SMC) agreement – If it is determined by the Home Care Case Manager that SMC is an option for you and you are interested in doing self-managed care, you will need to attend an orientation

For more information on Home Care programs and services in your area, contact Health Link by dialing 811 or go to the Home Care website.

Income Support Alberta

Income Support Alberta provides financial support for those who are physically able to work but are currently unemployed or not earning enough money to pay for their basic needs.

  • There are several factors that can affect your eligibility for income support (e.g. age & residency, ability to work, financial resources, information & planning)
  • It is important to remember that funding through Income Support Alberta only provides for your basic needs

For more information, go to the Income Support website or call Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992. They also offer a 24-hour Emergency Income Support Centre that can be reached by calling 1-866-644-5135.

To receive support from these programs, you must meet certain terms or conditions.