Indigenous Hospital Liaison Services
The Indigenous Hospital Liaison (IHL) works with patients and families at the Alberta Children's Hospital.
An IHL can:
- help you and your family feel comfortable in the hospital
- make referrals
- advocate for you and your family
- help plan and support your discharge from the hospital
- talk to healthcare providers about Indigenous cultural, spiritual beliefs, and practices
- help arrange Indigenous spiritual practices and ceremonies (e.g. Sweetgrass Ceremony, Elder Services)
Do I need a referral to see the IHL?
You can ask to see the IHL yourself by requesting at the Family and Community Resource Centre. Or, you can be referred by:
- any healthcare provider
- a family member or support person
When is the IHL available?
The IHL is usually available Monday to Friday during regular business hours. The IHL is not available on evenings or weekends. At these times, ask your healthcare provider to contact a social worker for assistance. You can also visit the Family & Community Resource Centre on the 2nd floor of the Alberta Children's Hospital.